Give to Montessori House. Lower Your State & Federal Taxes. Yay!

How does it work?

Through April 15, 2018, an individual may contribute as much as $200, and a couple filing jointly may contribute as much as $400 to Montessori House and receive the money back in the form of a tax credit. If you qualify for this state tax credit, you may write a check or use your credit card via PayPal to make a contribution. When you file your Arizona state taxes, you then subtract the amount of your contribution from what you owe or add the amount to your refund.

  • If you owe $800 in Arizona state taxes: Make a $400 contribution to Montessori House, and subtract $400 from your Arizona state taxes. Your tax bill will then be $400.
  • If your tax liability is $400 or more and you are still expecting an $800 refund on your Arizona state taxes: Make a $400 contribution to Montessori House, and add $400 to your Arizona state tax refund. Your refund will be $1,200.

The state tax credit is available to ALL qualifying individual Arizona state taxpayers. You do not need to have a child enrolled in a school to take advantage of this state tax credit. It is always best to consult a tax adviser to see if you qualify for the dollar-for-dollar credit. A tax credit is different from a deduction, because you may subtract the whole contribution from your Arizona state tax bill. Please note: To be eligible for a state tax credit in 2017, your contribution must be received or postmarked by April 15, 2018. ECA donations are not refundable.


Can I donate if I don’t have kids at Montessori House?

Yes! ANY AZ taxpayer can donate to any public or charter school, including Montessori House. Grandparents, neighbors, aunts and uncles are great contributors!

How late can I donate and have it count for my 2016 AZ taxes?

Your contributions can be received or postmarked by April 15, 2018. (For a federal tax deduction, donations made in 2018 will count toward the 2018 tax year, but for 2017 state taxes you can donate through April 15, 2018!)

How do I donate?

Fill out the attached donation form, return it to Montessori House with your payment, and you will receive a receipt in the mail. If donating via Paypal, there is no need to submit a separate form. You will enter all info as you submit payment.

What will my money be used for?

At Montessori House, the money mostly supports our end of the year survival campout and our VEX Robotics League team. It also supports smaller field trips and other extra-curricular activities, such as visiting authors.

Do I have to donate the full amount?

No, you may donate up to your $200 or $400 limit. It can be paid in installments or donated at one time. Any individual who pays Arizona State income tax can donate; you do not need to live in the Montessori House boundaries.

Can I pay by credit card?

Yes, a PayPal account is available for those who wish to pay this way.

If I have already donated to AZ Tax Credit for Private Schools or to AZ Tax Credit for the Working Poor, can I still make an ECA donation and have it count toward my taxes?

Yes. An individual can claim public school and school tuition tax credits in the same year, as well as working poor tax credits. If you make either of those donations, as always, consult your tax accountant.

I already donated a partial amount of the limit to another school. Can I make another contribution to Montessori House?

Yes, you may donate up to your $200 or $400 limit at multiple schools as long as your total donations do not exceed the $200 or $400 limit. E.g., My spouse and I donate $125 to my son’s junior high, and the remaining $275 to Montessori House.

My spouse and I only owe $200 in AZ income tax. Can I still donate the full $400 and have it all credited back to me?

No, you cannot receive a tax credit greater than your state income tax assessment for the tax year. However, as long as you owe AZ State Taxes, you can make an ECA donation up to that amount and receive it back as long as you didn’t donate more than you owed!  Even if you overpaid on your taxes, and are expecting a refund, as long as your original tax bill is equal to or more than you donated, you will have that ECA money added on to your tax refund. So if you and your spouse owe over $400 in AZ taxes, you could donate the full amount, but you don’t have to do the full amount. Any amount would be great!

—As always, if you are unsure, consult your tax advisor—